Nothing says “I love you” more than a piping hot bowl of soup. Close your eyes and try to remember coming home from a fall football game or chilly evening to the wonderful aroma of soup cooking on the stove. Whether you throw some favorite fall vegetables in a crock pot or spend an afternoon recreating your grandmother’s favorite recipe, welcome the season with a bowl of soup.
Creating a delicious soup is quite easy. Begin with a simple homemade chicken broth and add in your favorite ingredients. I like to add fresh seasonal vegetables to the broth. Now is a great time to add kale, escarole or sweet potatoes for a tasty soup. If you prefer a perkier soup, add your favorite beans.
Hearty soups paired with homemade breads create a wonderful fall meal and make the house smell inviting and delicious. Even though I cook all day at Periwinkles, I love to go home and make a batch of fresh soup. Next time you have a window of time, lay out all your favorite ingredients, turn up your playlist, chop. dice and whip up a nice pot of soup. Your family will appreciate the bowl of TLC and you can freeze the extra for another chilly night when you can share the magic of a bowl of soup. Here is one of my favorite soup recipes:
Sausage & Kale Soup
- 1 pound Italian Sausage
- 1 Pound Kale, washed, stems removed & chopped
- 1 Pound Sweet Potatoes, peeled & diced
- 6-8 cups chicken broth (homemade or canned)
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 4-6 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 16 oz can cannelini bean, drained and rinsed
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- Bake Sausages in 350 oven for 25 min.
- Remove sausages from oven and cut into ½” pieces
- In a soup pot add 2 tablespoons olive oil, sauté diced onion until softened, add garlic cook for another minute.
- Add stock, oregano, red pepper flakes & potatoes to soup pot simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add Kale & Sausage, continue to cook until potatoes are tender.
- Add can of beans, Serve hot.